The process of buying an SSL certificate for a web site is usually as follows:
– You create a secret key and CSR files using the method showm in this post.
– You cut and paste the content of the CSR file into a field in a SSL Vendor web site
– The SSL vendor produces a certificate based on the CSR you provided and send it to you.
– You download the CA Certificate from the SSL provider’s site
– You install the private keyfile, the CA certificate and the certificate in the web server and bobs’s-your-uncle.
The following procdeure is an extract from the site:
Generate a CSR & Private Key:
openssl req -out CSR.csr -new -newkey rsa:2048 -nodes -keyout privatekey.key
Fill out the following fields as prompted:
Note: The following characters can not be accepted: <> ~ ! @ # $ % ^ * / \ ( ) ?.,&
Country Name US (2 Letter Code)
State or Province New Hampshire (Full State Name)
Locality Portsmouth (Full City name)
Organization GMO GlobalSign Inc (Entity's Legal Name)
Organizational Unit Support (Optional, e.g. a department)
Common Name www.globalsign.com (Domain or Entity name